If you’ve been injured in a road accident – be it as a driver, passenger or pedestrian – you will likely want a clear pathway back to normality, including claiming benefits and compensation that you may be entitled to. You may not be aware that this pathway differs in each state and territory, and navigating it is not always straightforward. In Victoria, the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) is the insurer for transport accidents, and is responsible for paying compensation to people injured in those accidents. Sounds straightforward, right? However, there is some important information that you should understand at the outset so your claim progresses as smoothly as possible, and you get the outcome you deserve. If you’ve been injured in a road accident in Victoria, or know someone who has, then this blog is for you.

What can I claim?

You may be able to claim for a range of things, including:

· lost wages,

· medical, hospital and rehabilitation expenses

· travel costs, and

· attendant care and home help

If the accident is the result of someone else’s negligence you may also be entitled to bring a common law claim for ‘pain and suffering’ and future economic loss.

Can I make a claim directly to the TAC, or do I need a lawyer?

Every person’s circumstances are different. You can make a claim directly with the TAC. However you decide to proceed, there are two really important reasons you should consider obtaining high quality legal advice early in the process.

1. After an accident, your priority should be on your health and getting better. At Littles, we can help you understand what benefits are available and how to access them. This includes providing tailored advice about what you will or won’t be entitled to – so you can concentrate on getting better, not on how you’re going to pay for out of pocket medical expenses.

Read more: Help! I’ve been injured and I need to know what medical expenses TAC will cover! – Littles

2. Depending on the circumstances of your accident, you may be entitled to more compensation. At Littles, we are compensation law experts, and can help you understand all of your options.

I’m not sure whether I’m eligible to make a claim

The period after a road accident can be a very confusing and stressful time. Trying to negotiate complex legal processes, whilst potentially having to find the money to pay for unplanned medical costs, is very challenging. At Littles, we make getting high quality legal advice easy, with our free initial consultation and 24 hour claims assessment guarantee. Not only that, we run most claims on a “no win, no fee” basis. You should contact us even if:

· you were at fault, or

· if you have an existing claim as we can assist at any stage of the process. For example, you may have lodged an initial claim but TAC has refused to pay for or reimburse your medical expenses.

Don’t delay – seek advice now

Have you been injured in a road accident? Maybe you’re having trouble getting TAC to pay your medical bills? Get in touch with Littles for a free claims assessment. We can help you understand what you’re entitled to. Know where you stand, and get peace of mind.

Free advice and no upfront fees

Not only do we offer a FREE claims check – we also offer a free initial consultation, and handle most insurance claims on a no win, no fee basis. Our Littles expert, Julia Nguyen, is a TAC specialist. If you think you might have a claim, get in touch with Julia and the team for high quality legal advice.

Please note that this information is intended to provide general guidance only. You should not act or refrain from acting on the basis of such information. Appropriate professional advice should be sought based upon your individual circumstances. For further information, please contact Littles. 

Like? Share it with your friends.