FYI: This article is for people in Victoria, or who have been injured in a transport accident in Victoria

At Littles, we have significant experience representing people who have been injured after a transport accident. Some require years of treatment, resulting in extensive medical expenses from a range of different medical providers. While obtaining this treatment is essential to their recovery, it can also add to the stress of injured people and their loved ones, because it involves often significant, unplanned, ongoing expenditure. In Victoria, the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) will pay for a range of medical and other expenses if you have been injured in a transport accident. However, it can often be unclear exactly which expenses the TAC will pay for. Sometimes, the TAC may even decide not to fund some or all of a person’s bills based on the opinions of subjective internal policies, or determinations of its ‘Medical Panel’. If you’ve just been through a traumatic accident, potentially unable to work, or working fewer hour because of your injury, you might be struggling to figure out to put food on the table for you and your family. You shouldn’t have to also be worrying about how to pay for unplanned medical bills!

This blog explores which expenses the TAC will cover after you’ve been in an accident, and what your options are if the TAC does not pay these costs.

Getting TAC approval for medical treatments and services

First things first: it is important to know when you need to seek TAC approval to obtain treatments and services – and therefore incur bills – and when you don’t.

Remember: in the first 90 days after a transport accident, you DO NOT require TAC approval for treatments and services that are

· related to the injuries you sustained in your accident, and

· recommended by a medical provider (such as a doctor).

However, you DO require TAC approval when

· it is close to or more than 90 days since your accident and TAC hasn’t already approved further treatments or services, or

· it has been more than six months since you’ve had any treatment or service paid for by the TAC, or

· the treatment or service is not specifically listed by the TAC.

Which services and treatments will TAC cover?

The following is a list of treatments and services that will be automatically approved by the TAC within 90 days of a road accident:

· medical specialists for assessment and treatment of your injuries

· surgery

· dentistry

· hospital care

· radiology

· psychiatry and psychology

· ambulance services, and

· allied health services. These are treatments that improve mobility and function, and aid pain management. Allied health services may include:

o physiotherapy, exercise physiology, chiropractic, occupational therapy, osteopathy, podiatry, audiology, optometry, and speech pathology

See something missing? Don’t worry! This is not a complete list. If you need certainty about what the TAC should be paying you, check the TAC website, or get in touch with Littles! We are TAC experts, and can give you high quality legal advice on what you’re entitled to.


Don’t forget: so long as your doctor or another medical provider recommends them, you won’t need TAC approval if you have these treatments and services in the 90 days after your accident. After 90 days, you’ll need to obtain TAC approval.

Other treatments and services

In addition to the above, the TAC may also cover a range of additional services and treatments related to your medical care and recovery. Some of these are approved in the 90 days following a transport accident, such as interpreter services.

However, some will require TAC approval regardless of when they are obtained. These include the costs of travelling to your medical appointments – such as taxi or ridesharing expenses, and modifications to your home and/or vehicle.

Additionally, some treatments and services are subject to payment limits. It is important to be aware of these limits as soon as possible after your injury so that you are not out of pocket.

What do I do if the TAC won’t pay my expenses?

If you or a loved one has been in an accident and you’re still not sure whether the TAC will pay your medical expenses – or if they have refused to pay them – it can be stressful. However, don’t despair. We can provide clear, authoritative advice on your rights so you can get the treatment you need, get better, and return to living life.

Don’t delay – seek advice now

Have you been injured in a road accident? Maybe you’re having trouble getting TAC to pay your medical bills? Get in touch with Littles for a free claims assessment. We can help you understand what you’re entitled to. Know where you stand, and get peace of mind.

Free advice and no upfront fee

Not only do we offer a FREE claims check – we also offer a free initial consultation, and handle most insurance claims on a no win, no fee basis. Our Littles expert, Julia Nguyen, is a TAC expert If you think you might have a claim, get in touch with Julia and the team for high quality legal advice.

Like? Share it with your friends.