If you have suffered injury from a transport accident this can be a very difficult time, and you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries.  


Seek quality legal advice from us regarding your TAC claim today. We make the legal process easy for you, so that you can focus on your recovery without worrying about complex legal processes. 

I’ve been injured in a transport accident, what do I do?

1. Report the accident to the police: obtain the contact details of the police officer in charge and

the police reference number. You will require these details when you lodge your claim.

2. See your doctor and obtain a “Certificate of Capacity”, especially if you require time off work.

3. Lodge your claim with the TAC: either online or over the phone on 1300 654 329. There are

time limits for lodging your TAC claim and you should ensure that this is done within 12 months from the date of accident.

4. Seek legal advice from Littles Lawyers so that you can obtain advice on your entitlements and

are not disadvantaged.

What can I claim?

1. Statutory benefits

TAC is a “no fault” insurance scheme with various benefits available to anyone who has been involved in a transport accident (regardless of fault) including:

• Loss of wages: for time lost off work as a result of your injuries

• Medical and treatment expenses: see https://littleslawyers.com.au/help-ive-been-injured-and-i-need-toknow-what-medical-expenses-tac-will-cover/ for further information.

• Domestic assistance and transport: for your home duties and if you require transport to/from

your medical appointments.

• Lump sum impairment benefit: if you have sustained at least 11% whole person impairment

(WPI) then you will be entitled to a lump sum payment. In order to receive this payment,

supporting medical evidence must be obtained and an application made. If you believe you have

sustained serious injuries or believe the TAC has assessed your level of impairment incorrectly,

contact us today to assist you with a lump sum payment.

2. Common Law claim

In addition to the above benefits, you may also be entitled to an additional lump sum payment (known as common law damages) if:

a) Someone else was at fault for the accident (or partly at fault); AND

b) Your injuries meet the definition of a ‘serious injury’ (as defined by the Transport Accident Act

1986). For more information on what constitutes a ‘serious injury’ see “Victoria Transport accidents TAC claim: What is a serious injury?” 

This will entitle you to a single lump sum for pain and suffering damages and loss of past and future loss of earnings. 

This is a complexed legal process which requires a serious injury application to be lodged with the TAC. It involves the gathering of evidence and preparation of sworn affidavits and statements to support your application. If you think you have sustained a ‘serious injury’ or are unsure, we can provide you with some advice and help guide you through the entire process so that you are fairly compensated.

Free advice and no upfront fee

Our TAC expert, Julia Nguyen, can provide a FREE claims check and free initial consultation. Not only this, all our claims are conducted on a “No Win, No Fee” basis. We also cover any disbursements incurred throughout your claim so that you have no upfront payments.

Like? Share it with your friends.